St. Angelo Fort, Kannur
Located only 3km from the Kannur city, St. Angelo Fort or the ‘Kannur Fort’ is undoubtedly one of the best tourist attractions in Kerala! Commissioned by the first Portuguese Viceroy, Don Francesco de Almeida, this historic fortress was built in the year 1505. Following this, it was captured by the Dutch army in 1663 and by the British in 1790.
An ode to the golden history of God’s Own Country, this historic fort overlooks the majestic Arabian Sea and offers some of the astounding views of the ocean. At present, it is being maintained by the Archaeological Survey of India.
Nearest Airport: Calicut International Airport (93km)
Nearest Railway Station: Kannur Central (3km)
Nearest Bus Stand: Thavakkara Bus Terminal, Kannur